dinsdag 1 december 2009

Run OpenManage on Dell 2950 / 2970 with ESXi

When trying to add 2 disks to an existing Raid 5 array (4 disks) I ran into some problems. The server is a Dell 2970 with a Perc 5/i controller, running ESXi 3.5 as OS. However, it seemed there was no easy way to reconfigure / resize the disk array. At first I tried to boot into the Raid Controller bios with CTRL + R. However, in here there was no function to resize or reconfigure the disks. After some research it seemed I had the following options:

  1. Create a complete image of the current disks. Then recreate the Raid 5 array with 6 disks. Then restore the image. Seemed to be risky and time consuming.
  2. Create a dual boot on an extra partition running Windows Server 2003. On this OS we could install Dell OpenManage to reconfigure the disk array. It seems like almost impossible to create a dual boot with ESXi.
  3. Install ESXi version from Dell including OpenManage http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R215992&formatcnt=1&libid=0&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=306537. Since this is not just an update it probably requires to setup all VM's again.
  4. Use a linux live-cd with OpenManage installed on it. It seemed the dell community worked on this and created a CentOS live-cd including OpenManage 5.5. See http://linux.dell.com/files/openmanage-contributions/

I tried option 4 first, since it seemed to be the safest option to start with. I downloaded the ISO and burned it to a CD. Then I went to the server, inserted the CD, rebooted and kept my fingers crossed. Unfortunately, this last step did not help. When the live-cd tried to recognize the SATA controller it raised an error:

'Fatal error occured - Data for LiveCD not found. Are you using SCSI?'

The LiveCD had problems detecting and initializing the SATA controller of the Dell 2970. Looking on the internet showed me that more users had this problem. My solution for this was to create a bootable USB stick containing the CentOS OpenManage ISO. To do this I downloaded UNetbootin from http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Again, fingers crossed, I went to the server, placed the USB stick in the USB port at the back. Fingers crossed... Rebooted into the USB stick, the boot was succesful! I had to login with sluser / sluser. Then I saw the linux prompt. On another PC I started my internet browser and went to https://ip_of_server:1311 This showed me the OpenManage prompt and I could login! Now I can perform all OpenManage actions!

Hmmkay.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. God bless you and thank you for this. I've been in the hell of trying to get the OMSA CentOS image to load via CDROM. This post of yours saved my life....

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen